How well do you know the different tools available for job performance evaluations? If you’re in HR, you’ll probably know that paper appraisals have become almost obsolete. Today, there are many solutions that speed up and simplify the process.
Below, we will analyse two very useful options, so you can judge which one will best fit your needs.
The importance of measuring staff performance
Performance appraisals provide both quantitative and qualitative data on the performance of each of your workers. They help companies ensure their professionals are dedicated to tasks they excel in and receive training in areas they need to improve.
It is also an opportunity for the business owner and employee to talk about individual objectives and a career plan at the company. Ultimately, it’s a moment to reflect and share ideas to make the employee feel more at home within the organisation.
So, performance reviews allow companies to:
- Offer benefits or improvements to employees based on objective data about their everyday work.
- Make decisions on salary raises and promotions.
- Help employees to improve and grow as professionals.
- Create training or mentoring plans targeted at each employee’s genuine needs.
- Determine if training programs have been effective.
- Create career plans targeted at each worker’s skills and strengths.
- Establish a two-way flow of communication with employees to understand their interests and needs better.
- Make employees feel like the company cares about their professional development, which will improve the working environment and staff engagement.
To carry out appraisals efficiently, job performance evaluation tools really have become essential. Without them, we can end up mired in a lengthy and costly process.
There are two main types to choose between:
Here we will analyse each in turn.
The performance review Excel template
The Excel template is one of the most commonly used methods. It is a simple tool, does not cost the company any extra and is fully adaptable to business requirements.
How does the template work? Once the initial configuration with formulas and graphs is complete, all you need to do is enter the employee information and review parameters.
Although this format has several advantages, which we will look at now, there are undoubtedly quicker and more reliable options like performance review software on the market.
The advantages of using Excel spreadsheets
With the Excel template you can:
- Personalise the Excel spreadsheet according to the organisation’s or employee’s needs.
- Record employee interviews.
- Create diagrams and performance reports on the parameters you’re interested in.
- Save on your budget, as there are no additional costs.
The disadvantages of using Excel spreadsheets
Reasons against using the template include that:
- You can’t share it, so members of the HR team can’t edit or modify it at the same time.
- It requires time and effort to configure and keep it up to date.
- All the work is manual.
- You need someone with advanced Excel knowledge.
- If you lose the document, you lose all the information.
Tailored performance review software
Of all the performance review tools out there, software has to be the best option. With more advanced features and cloud connectivity, you can:
- Share key information with the rest of the department.
- Manage the review process efficiently and reliably.
- Automate manual tasks.
This software is designed to simplify and optimise the process and delivers huge benefits in terms of department efficiency.
- You can create talent matrices which provide a visual representation of who needs more support to achieve their objectives.
- You will have all the tools you need to create your own templates or find inspiration from the library of questions compiled by experts.
- You can automatically send out questionnaires to reviewers.
- You will create an objective review system, without any fuss or bias.
With performance review software it is much easier to establish a culture of continuous feedback in which everyone takes part and receives valued information for their personal development.
Moreover, if you choose cloud-based software you can access it from anywhere: all you need is an internet connection and device. Perfect for remote working.
The advantages of performance review software
Opting for performance review software brings multiple benefits for the HR department:
- Optimise processes to save time, which you can dedicate to more important tasks.
- Access all the information and share it with the team from anywhere.
- Create flexible, personalised, and effective evaluation programs.
- Foster a culture of continuous feedback that improves the working environment.
- Easily identify employees with high potential.
- Effortlessly align individual and group objectives.
- Store all the information on the same platform securely.
- Only pay for the functions you use.